From: Defend the Whittington Hospital Coalition <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013
Subject: Campaign Activities – Preparation for demonstration
- Update You may know from local newspapers and our emails that the Whittington Hospital Trust’s application for Foundation Trust status has been delayed. They have to re-submit. It is thought that this may be due to too much cutting away of hospital facilities.
At our lobby of the Hospital Board on Wednesday afternoon, attended by a magnificent 150 people – patients, staff and trade unions and their banners – we asked whether the Board would withdraw their sell-off of beds, buildings and jobs. Despite an all-staff email informing us that they were reconsidering their proposals, they refused to answer our question. Our campaign therefore continues. You can get a flavour of the mood at the lobby here:
- Planning Meeting on Monday 4th March 7.00 at Archway Methodist Church Hall (ground floor), Archway Close. The agenda is attached. We will mainly be discussing plans for the demonstration on 16th March
- Stewards for Demonstration At a meeting with police, attended by Emily Thornberry, MP, George Binette (Camden Unison and Camden Trades Council) and myself we were informed that we need 100 stewards for the demonstration. We would be grateful if trades unions, in particular, and political parties, would send us lists of names of people who are prepared to help us – ASAP.
- Leaflets for demonstration Getting the information out by word of mouth is essential for building a good demo. We have 35,000 for distribution! You will find piles of leaflets at the reception at Whittington Park Community Centre, Yerbury Road, N19 which can be collected during office hours, and from stalls.
- Leafleting stalls Please join us (and do set up your own)
Saturday 2nd March 11.30 – 1.00 Junction Road exit of Archway tube station, 12 – 1.30 Nags Head, Holloway Road
Sunday 3rd March 11.00 Tesco, Stroud Green Road
Monday 4th March 7.30 – 9.30 am Finsbury Park Station, Wells Terrace Entrance
5.30 – 6.30 pm Highbury and Islington tube station
Friday 8th March 5.00-6.00 pm Finsbury Park Station, Wells Terrace Entrance
From the Camden end we have organised stalls to leaflet for the demonstration this Saturday and next (2nd and 9th) 11am – 12 at Kentish Town Co-op (next to Kentish Town tube) if any one who lives that way can help. Also Tuesday 5.30pm at Kentish Town Tube.
Also note that there will be an EMERGENCY PROTEST opposite the House of Lords on Tuesday 5th March, 1.30pm, College Green, when the proposed privatisation regulations under section 75 of the Health and Social Care Act will be discussed. There is an urgent need to raise the public profile about what this threat represents and organise action against it.
Thanks so much to everyone for your help with the campaign, and for your continued support.
Defend the Whittington Hospital Coalition