From: Defend the Whittington Hospital Coalition <email@example.com>
Date: 5 February 2013 21:29
Subject: Stop the Sell-off campaign update
Update about the campaign.
The Management of our Hospital wants its major function to be a community health resource. They have proposals for snazzy updating to community health services. We welcome this, but NOT at the cost of losing our hospital buildings, hospital beds, nurses and administrative staff. Incidentally, we have been told by doctors that there have been “red alerts” recently because there have not been enough beds!
The facts – as far as we can work them out
1. Buildings north of the service road, by the old entrance to the A and E. All will be demolished except the listed building(s) which will be sold
2. Staff accommodation which is now included in the above plan, will be demolished and the land sold off
3. 570 staff jobs to go – administrative and nursing
4. Reduction of beds from over 300 to 177
5. Capping of births to 4,000
6. Reduction of specialist treatments at the Hospital
The Management keep saying that these days we don’t need hospital care. They say that care in the community is better. We say we need BOTH.
We say No to the sell-off and no to the cuts!
Our Action Plan so far
- Public Meeting on Tuesday 12 February, 19:30 at ArchwayMethodistChurch. Please note that in addition to the local MPs we also have Owen Jones. We will have other speakers, too.
- Planning Meeting for local activists on Monday 18 February, 19:30 at ArchwayMethodistChurch
- Lobby of Whittington Board to ask them to rescind the decisions about the sell-off. Wednesday 27 February, 14:00-17:00 at the Whittington Education Centre (behind the JennerBuilding) This is a building that looks as if its up for demolition/sale!
Demonstration Watch this space for the date.
Please get involved!
- You can distribute the attached meeting leaflet with friends/colleagues at tube stations or at the organised distribution points, below
- You can sign the petition on the link below and forward it to your friends. Also bring copies of the petition when you are leafleting. (This is the official DWHC petition. There are other ones as well. Hopefully we can submit them together.)
- And do come to our activities – above
Leafleting arrangements – (that we know about)
Friday 8 February
- 17:00-18:00, Archway Tube Highgate Hill Entrance
- 17:00-17:45 Holloway Road Tube
Saturday 9 February
- 11:00 Outside Tesco, Stroud Green Road
- 11:00 Outside Sainsbury, CamdenTown
- 12:00 Holloway Road, outside Selby/Morrisons
We look forward to seeing you at one of these activities.
Shirley Franklin, Chair, Defend the Whittington Hospital Coalition